Spring, this special time of year for rebirth, transition and starting over. You may feel anxious for your bones to finish thawing out and shed all those layers at once, but allowing this transitional process to shift naturally and gradual gives you the time and space to process, absorb then then reflect or shift physically and energetically. (How yogic is that?!) This is the best time of year to celebrate change and freshen things up in your body, home, schedule, intentions or anything else. Here’s my favorite Spring refreshers that invite flow, ease and lightness.
1. Get fresh air. Whether it’s stepping outside for a break to take in some long, deep breaths or cracking open up the windows, invite all that freshness in!
2. Add a splash of color. Wear vivid colors. Enjoy brighter bed sheets. Swap out pillow covers for punchy patterns or prints. Treat yourself to daffodils, hyacinths, tulips in yellows, purples, pinks. They not only add that burst of color but bonus! — they also add some sweet aromatherapy, which leads me to #3.
3. Aromatherapy. Essential oils are a wonderful way to brighten your day and your mood. They can calm and sooth your or refresh and invigorate you. Mix a few drops in a spray water bottle and modestly spritz on your sheets before bed. Or dab a drop under your nose and smell where ever your nose takes you. Ideal scents for Spring are Lavender, Bergamot and Chamomile.
4. De-clutter. Sorting through a few items each week creates a big impact with little effort. Before packing up all your Fall/Winter clothes, go through what you don’t want or need in your closet and put it in a “think about” or “donate” pile to let go of. Before you know it, the job will sort itself out.
5. Acupuncture. Before each season transitions into the next, I get an acupuncture treatment to prepare my body and energy for the transition. It equips me for the change and makes it easier on my body to adapt to the transition, especially when it comes to allergies! Who wants to suffer from all that pollen when this could help a ton! Give it a try for this Spring — it’s not too late!
6. Cleaner, lighter eating. Now that it’s not bone chilling cold anymore, there’s less of a need to eat such heavy, hearty meals that gave us that necessary “stick to the ribs” comfort. Try swapping out meat for fish. Quinoa instead of pasta. Cauliflower instead of potatoes.
7. Get a haircut! Or any other self care that sheds the old and invites the new. For me, there’s no better feeling than a new style to help me feel refreshed and have a new outlook. Getting a massage, a body scrub or a facial are also great ways to literally shed your old skin so you can emerge shiny, polished and more radiant from the outside in.
8. Make room for new intentions. Most importantly, feel good from the inside out. Spend a little QT with yourself to take mental and emotional inventory of how you spend your time or your energy. What do you value? What could you use more of? Less of? What could be shifted, invited or let go? Let this be a wonderful opportunity to dismiss old habits that don’t serve you, making room for new ones that do.
Exhale old. Inhale new. Repeat : ) Happy Spring!